Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mexican for Michawn

My friend in Brazil is terribly missing her Mexican food so this post is dedicated to her. I decided to post it because maybe some of you would be interested in these ideas too.I know she is limited to certain ingredients. I tried my best to use those that are available to her. I have been researching some ways for her to cook her own Mexican food so here goes:

Tostados
Cut tortillas into quarters and deep fry in 350-degree oil until crisp.

Guacamole
1 medium avocado, peeled & mashed
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp chopped cilantro

Mix well. I keep the middle of the avocado in the dip. It is supposed to make it keep it fresh longer.

Quesadillas
flour tortillas
cheese
desired fillings--onions, peppers, tomatoes, chicken

Saute desired fillings (except tomatos) in butter. Put fillings on each tortilla. Add cheese. Add tortilla on top. Brown in skillet.

Mexican Fruit Punch

1 papaya
3 bananas
3 apples, peeled
1 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 quart ice water

Combine all in blender until smooth and creamy.

Taco Bowls

Make taco bowls by placing flour tortillas over inverted oven proof bowls on a baking sheet. Brush the tortillas with melted butter, shape gently over bowls and bake until crisp. Let stand until cool and fill bowls with lettuce, grilled chicken or ground beef, tomato, quacamole etc.

****I love the stuff Elaine made!! All the chopped up vegetables would be great on these or any Mexican dish!*****
or here's another recipe

Fresh Salsa
3 tomatoes, chopped
3 fresh jalepeno peppers, chopped
3 Tsp onions chopped
1 Tsp parsely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 T cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp sugar

Combine all in bowl. Process a small amount of time in food processor, pulsing at low speed. pour into serving bowl. Yields 3 cups. I would add cilantro to this because I add it to everything.

Flour tortillas
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup water

Sift flours, baking powder and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add enough water to make medium dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Divide into 10 -12 portions; shape into balls. Roll each into 1/8 inch thick circle. Bakd 1 at a time on both sides on hot griddle, pressing lightly to collapse bubbles and flatten tortillas. STack tortillas in cloth towel to keep warm. May use all unbleached flour if desired. Makes 10 -12 tortillas


or the one i would choose---(easier)

3 cups flour
salt to taste
5 Tsp shortening
1 cup warm water

Process flour, salt, shortening in food processor until crumbly. Add the water gradually, processing constantly until smooth. Shape into balls; flatten into circles. Cook on medium hot griddle until dry.


My Fajitas
chicken, bell peppers, onions
flour tortillas
toppings: cheese ,(Eliane special) onions, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro
ranch

I saute the chicken until done then remove and cut into strips. Saute bell pepper and onion in butter until soft. Add chicken back to veggies and season with salt, pepper- whatever you like. Warm flour tortillas in microwave. Roll as desired!


You could use ground beef and turn this recipe into tacos!!


I have not tried all of these recipes, only some. I hope these will be useful. You may have a better way to make these things or some better recipes. If you do, please share!!! Michawn, if you are out of chili powder or cumin, let me know!!!!!

3 comments:

Michawn said...

Girl-Friend!! You are so stinkin' awesome and that is just the sweetest, coolest thing that you made this post for me. I will DEFINITELY be trying these out. And, I'll let you know how it goes. You are so sweet sister friend. Thanks bunches...made my day.

Michawn said...

oh, and my mom just sent me 2 big ole things of chili powder, so we should be set for a while. and cumin i can get here, so that's good. thanks so very much though.

Sergent Charlie said...

Hey Mrs.Wendy its gary (my internet name is charlie) i was just saying hi .My blog is www.chirstianairsoft.blogspot.com